Monday, November 08, 2004

I don't get no RespeCt… in IRC'

I don't get no R espeCt… in IRC'


rodney


My experience with mIRC


Set up was embarrassingly for me. I heard all about IRC before, but first time I actually took part in one. Below are some of the channels I wasted my time at:



  • #newbies

    • Great place to start off learning about IRC. Very friendly people there. Shared neat tricks with how to do formatting & stuff… way faster to learn than reading the texts & manuals.



  • #philosophy

    • I found many people in heated discussions here. But I did not run into wader's experience of foul commentary…



  • #helsing

    • My current favorite manga. So I spent time looking for other fans to discuss same topics.



  • #cybersex

    • For the less inclined, you should stay away from this channel. For those with pure academic hearts (as if!) this place will show you the dark side of IRC. ‘Beware of the dark side…' (Yoda, ?)



  • # singapore

    • went looking to find locals. But all were concentrating on private chats nothing there.



  • #japan

    • just a bunch of people who liked to text chat. Spent the bulk of my time sharing my experience of learning nihongo, and sharing stuff about Japanese culture.




What my classmates had to say:


Kami wrote ‘lots of folks were signing in and then out, but were not involved in conversant activity. What is that all about? Do people sign in and then immediately go to a private chat?' I was thinking the very same thing initially, then dismissed it as the norm. Also, we share the same thoughts that IRC chat was purely a venue for socialization, while LambdaMOO was more of a game where people could indulge in the game or each other.


Mark is out-doing everyone else again. Filled with lots of insights, and linked to even more resources, it's a gem of a post. I did not know that people were having virtual marriages in http://secondlife.com/ , I did not know that kids killed themselves over losing a game in EverQuest (best I ever irritated an arrogant opponent was beating him and making him cry in a chess tournament), etc. Read his blog. Just go.


Key Insight:


‘I don't get no respect' ( Rodney Dangerfield ).


In lamdamoo, there was a unique social dynamic between the relationships of the killer-achiever-socializer-explorer. There was a level of respect that came associated with your experience in using lamdamoo, as opposed to none with IRC. You had to prove yourself (even as an explorer) before the killers will think twice about taking you on.


rodney


Heather had this to say about this same thing… ‘LambdaMoo were very specific to your purpose for being there. And, for newbies, that interaction was hard. You had to prove that you could do things and know before you gained respect from others. The IRC didn't come with any notions of I'm better since I've been here more.' Glad to find people who feel the same way… :)


Conclusion:


Some people love the IRC environment, and found opportunities to work together and share insights. The synchronous nature of IRC is probably its main draw.


Personally, I dislike IRC – period. It's synchronous nature is a put off for me as I don't have the time to go and chat with these people on a regular basis. Like wader said, I prefer bulletin boards and fan fics' asynchronous nature because they let us contemplate before posting. Same reason why I had a hard time with blogging not so long ago.


Cheers,

BH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home